This article is broken down into two section.
The first section is about sites like Craigslist and the second section is about alternatives to Craigslist personals.
It’s pretty incredible how many websites like Craigslist there are out there.
Certainly, Craigslist is the biggest website for buying and selling things, advertising, and finding Craigslist Personals that are local to your city. If you’re looking for Craigslist personals alternatives, you scroll down a little lower to see a list of that.
I think Craigslist is one of the first places you should go for whatever you’re looking for.
Having said that though, there are many other options besides Craigslist. Some of them are really really strong competitors to Craigslist.
I’ve compiled a list of Craigslist alternatives. Some of them are smaller ones and some of them are really big. Not as big as Craigslist, but big enough that you could do away with Craigslist and use these other websites to do whatever it is you’re looking to do.
Most of the websites listed below will be for buying and selling things. And other similar things you’ll find in Craigslist personals.
List of sites like Craigslist
- Wall Classifieds
- Classifieds Factor
- Ad Land Pro
- Ads Global
- Local Find
- City News
- Let Go
- Penny Saver USA
- Ad To Ad
- US Free Ads
- Classified Ads
- Varage Sale
- USA Today Classified
Most of the sites above are tailored to USA and buying and selling in the USA. Some of them have a more worldwide marketplace where you can buy and sell things around the world. But locally in the states is where the market is the strongest in most of them. Which makes sense since these are generally US bases websites.
Sites like Backpage and Craigslist personals
Most of the sites above are for buying and selling items as mentioned. Two very popular online buy/sell websites are Backpage and Craigslist, and the sites above are sites like Backpage and Craigslist personals (though I mentioned Backpage above already).
Craigslist Personals Alternatives
Craigslist is one of the most popular places online to find casual hookups, or casual encounters as Craigslist calls it. A lot of people use it for that. However, Craigslist isn’t always the best place to find casual hookups. And sometimes it’s nice to have other alternatives to Craigslist personals.
I actually Googled around a little to learn a little bit more about Craigslist and hooking up on it. Seems like it has dried up quite a bit and it seems like it’s hard to find women to hook up with on Craigslist. There also doesn’t seem to be much out there that can rival Craigslist casual encounters.
Since it’s such a popular thing to do on there, and that could be a main reason why you are looking for Craigslist personal alternatives to find casual hookups, here are some hookup sites like Craigslist you can use to find some casual encounters on.
The following are mostly dating hookup sites:
What happened to Craigslist personals section?
There was a law that came out passed by the U.S. senate to combat sex trafficking. This law meant that online websites where sex trafficking could happen could make websites that offer casual encounters or something similar liable by law.
To avoid this potential big issue, Craigslist cancelled their personals section. Even though the ads published are from third parties and has nothing to do with Craigslist the company, this law still affects Craigsilst.
Casual Encounters On Craigslist
Craigslist was one of the best places online to find casual encounters – perhaps the best because it was the most popular place for random people to casually meet and leave. The anonymity of the whole online hookup scene was incredibly popular which is what made online random encounters so popular among all kinds of people.
You could meet someone without every knowing their name or much else about them, hook up, and leave. And that would be it. No attachment. There are other websites for hookups like Craigslist now and they have gotten more popular since the Craigslist ad section went down. I listed them above and you can have a look at them.
How to buy, sell, and advertise on other sites like Craigslist
I’ll give you some tips on how to use the classified ads on sites like Craigslist. Generally speaking, they all work similarly. You list the item you have for sale if you want to sell something or if you want to buy something, you want to buy the item as cheap as possible.
This works for anything you may be buying or selling. It could be a car, iPad, or textbooks. The same good practices applies.
My best buy and sell tips:
1. List item for sale at a higher price// You want to initially list your item for sale at a higher price than you think you can get. This is for bargaining reasons. And you never know, maybe someone will buy it at your price listed. You can then lower your price over time if you don’t get replies or enough time has passed and you haven’t received sufficient queries. If you have time, this is the best way to go. If you just want to get rid of the item and get money for it, then you can list it below market value for a quick sale.
2. Take good pictures of your items for sale// Take several pictures of your items for sale// People want to see what they are buying. The more pictures the better. Take pictures from different angles, with close ups and far away shots. The better they can see what you are selling, the better purchasing decision they can make. A lot of people are weary of buying things online because they don’t want to be ripped off. If you don’t have enough pictures to show what you’re selling, people feel they could be buying the wrong thing or buying something that isn’t what they expected. You don’t want that. So make sure to include a lot of great pictures that clearly show the buyer what they are getting.
3. Write a catchy headline// Try and make your headline stand out with something that wows the reader or makes them curious. This will grab attention to your item and encourage people to click it and check it out. A ton of people sell iPhones online with the same boring titles. Can you make your title pop?
4. Include the item name in your headline// You must include the name of what you’re selling clearly in the title. People will be searching for your item for sale with specific name and model number. So be clear what it is, especially if there has been several versions of what you are selling. List the color, size, condition, and anything else really important about the item.
5. Respond to questions quickly// If someone texts you or emails you with questions, respond quickly. Everyone likes quick replies, and time is everything. You never know how urgent someone needs to buy what you’re selling, and they could purchase it elsewhere if you are too slow to reply.
6. Be patient// It can take some time to sell things online. Sometimes you are simply selling something that a lot of people aren’t too interested in and sometimes what you’re selling is really unique and it just takes time for the right person to notice it. Be patient and lower your price if it’s taking too long or you’re not getting responses back.
7. Write a great description of the product for sale// A lot of people aren’t educated about what you are selling. They might know a little about it but not a lot. You want to write detailed descriptions that educate potential buyers. The more they learn and know about what you’re selling, the more likely it is they will buy it.
8. Be honest// If the item has an issue with it then please disclose it. This is the best policy.
9. Always bargain when buying// Never accept a sellers price. Always ask to buy an item at a lower price. Sellers know people will bargain. Even if they said the price is hard, which means there is no room for negotiating, still offer a lower price. Worst thing that can happen is they say no, which you can then buy the item at their asking price if you still want it.
10. Don’t lowball too hard// You want to offer a lower price to buy but you don’t want to get ridiculous with your offer. Know what the value is and know what the used value is. Be reasonable with your offer or you’ll just get blown off, or maybe even get an angry text back.
11. Encourage a cheaper price by buying now// This is my favorite buying tip. I like to offer a lower value than what the asking price is, and to encourage the seller to accept my asking price, I will say something like I will meet up with you right now to buy it and pay you cash if you accept. This makes the seller more willing to sell at the lower price because he/she can finally get rid of the item and not have to go through the selling process any longer.
Don’t forget about local places like Craigslist
Online marketplaces like Craigslist are of course popular and great way to buy, sell, advertise, and do a ton of other things.
However, there are also local ways to do these things too. Local bulletin boards, schools, restaurants, light post posters, etc, are all ways you can get your word out.
Facebook and other social media buy/sell groups are also awesome ways to exchange good. I highly recommend Facebook. There are many buy/sell groups that are specific to the city you live in. It’s one of the best sites to exchange goods that isn’t Craigslist. Plus, you get to see the real person who you may be buying from/selling to, so you can judge them a little more to help make your decision, instead of talking to a random stranger over text or email which can be sketchy for some people.
Are there any other sites like Craigslist I should add?
Let me know in the comment section below. I’ll be happy to add them!